Survey Technician - Offshore (Hydrographic)
Fugro Chance, located in Lafayette, LA and Houston, TX USA, provides innovative survey services including “call-out” rig, platform, core location, dive boat and pipe-lay barge positioning; survey engineering project management for deep-water construction; and navigation services to the marine seismic industry; survey services on international projects. Most work is done in marine environments, especially the Gulf of Mexico. Particularly valuable to clients is the proprietary database of information on wells, pipelines and hazards in the waters where the company has worked for over 50 years. Critical skills of the employee group include electronics, hydrographic survey, software engineering, systems integration engineering, survey engineering, geodesy and geomatics engineering.
Are you an adventurous person, who is excited by technology-based problem solving, and looking for a rewarding career?
DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES: Job requires the technical installation and operation of survey equipment on rigs, barges and vessels used for offshore surveying in the marine environment. Responsible for the completion of jobs to requested client requirements. Operate satellite survey equipment, conventional survey equipment (Total Stations, EDMS, Transit, etc.), and acoustic survey equipment interfaced to graphic computer system for navigation purposes in the marine environment. (Representative equipment used: Starfix, GPS, Simrad, Tracklink, Hydrostar, Sonardyne, Reson)
· Drive vehicles to and from office locations, docks and heliports.
· Load and unload equipment and install it on vessels to be used in the surveying procedure.
· Set up, interface, test, and operate surface/sub-surface positioning equipment including
DGPS, sonar, and related systems.
· Perform other related activities and special projects that are required or assigned.
· Interact with clients on site and as necessary.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: 2 or 4 year Surveying Degree preferred, 2 year Technical school Degree/Diploma (industry related) accepted with at least one-year technical experience in Land or Offshore (Hydrographic) Surveying, military survey/geospatial occupation experience or offshore technical work in electronics or computer field.
· Must successfully complete water survival course; valid driver’s license with acceptable driving
record; valid passport or ability to procure one.
· Must be U.S. citizen or have permanent resident status.
· MS Office skills, ability to quickly learn proprietary software and travel extensively are a must.
· Have good listening skills and the ability to implement instruction and give instructions to
· Ability to pass physical examination with drug screen, crminal/civil background checks
and have or ability to acquire TWIC Card
· Experience in Navigation, Sonar/Acoustics, AutoCAD/Mapping, Electronics, Computer
Science field. GPS/GIS a plus in selection
Note: This job requires you to be in an on-call status 160 – 200 days a year and live within 2 hours driving distance of Lafayette, LA.
What we offer
We offer a full benefit package
Interviews: October 7th thru November 15th 2013
Job Starts December 2, 2013